Robinson permitted to return to the field despite 8-match ban

After being suspended by the ECB for the New Zealand series because of a pending investigation into his racist and misogynistic statements, England bowler Ollie Robinson is now allowed to return to cricket.

A three-member Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) gave him an eight-match suspension on June 30, with five of those matches postponed for two years. The ECB-imposed suspension on him for the second Test against New Zealand, as well as for two T20 Blast matchups that he opted out of, have been taken into account for the remaining three matches. Robinson was also hit with a 3200 Pound fine.

Robinson was dropped from England’s squad following the Test. He took seven wickets in two innings for New Zealand and made 42 runs in his first innings. During the investigation, it was also stated that he would be taking a brief hiatus from playing for Sussex, and the commission took these circumstances into account when making its decision during a hearing on June 30.

Robinson acknowledged breaking ECB Directives 3.3 and 3.4 in respect to a series of insulting tweets he sent between 2012 and 2014. On June 2, the day Robinson made his Test debut, screenshots of those tweets began to circulate.

“I fully accept the CDC’s decision,” Robinson said. “As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologize unreservedly for their contents.

“I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offense. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.”