CA and ECB confirm availability of players for IPL 2021

The BCCI has informed the eight IPL franchises about the availability of overseas players, particularly English and Australian cricketers, who have been granted permission by their respective cricket boards to participate in the competition, which begins next month in the UAE.

The IPL 2021 will take place between September 19 and October 15. Hemang Amin, the IPL’s COO, called the clubs to tell them of the players’ availability. However, the players will have the final say on whether or not to participate in the IPL and avoid the lengthy bio-bubbles.

David Warner has confirmed his availability for Sunrisers Hyderabad, which also has Jason Roy and Jonny Bairstow on board (both England). Steve Smith and Marcus Stoinis, both Australians, have already told their Delhi Capitals team that they will be attending the competition. In the IPL 2021, 14 Englishmen and 20 Australians will play for various franchises.

“We have got a call from the IPL office and have been informed that the boards have no objection to their players’ participation. It is now up to the players,” Kasi Viswanathan of Chennai Super Kings stated. “Our Australian and English players (Jason Behrendorff, Sam Curran, Moeen Ali) are available,” the CEO of the franchise, which has already reached Dubai with 12 players, said. Punjab Kings’ Satish Menon too confirmed receiving the information from the BCCI.

With the ECB confirming players’ involvement in the IPL, it’s safe to assume that some of England’s first-choice players will miss out on the two Twenty20 Internationals set for Rawalpindi on October 13 and 14. The ECB will adopt the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) formula of sending a side to Pakistan without IPL recruits, as previously reported.