The already jinxed South Africa tour is almost certainly going to be rescheduled. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is expected to ask Cricket South Africa to move the series forward in order to allay players’ fears about their safety as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak’s Omicron variant. The BCCI had previously stated that it was awaiting the Indian government’s approval for the tour.

Officials from the BCCI had stated that the tour’s fate would be determined by the Indian government. They are now anticipating a decision by Sunday. Because the CSA will suffer significant financial losses if the series is canceled, the BCCI is attempting to keep the tour going but shortening the time by eliminating a Test match. In that instance, the tour will consist of two rather than three Test matches. The show is set to premiere on December 17th. The BCCI will seek that the CSA postpone the South Africa tour because of Omicron concerns, with a deadline set for Sunday.

“We may ask CSA to postpone the series by a week, and then we will announce the schedule,” BCCI insiders told TOI. The Indian government has made it clear that it does not want to take any chances by delaying the restart of international flights. As a result, the Union Sports Minister has requested clearance from the BCCI. The BCCI isn’t ruling out pushing the dates back a week as the scenario develops.

“This is an essential tour for us, and we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. We will, however, have to wait for the government’s approval. In South Africa, things are clearly not looking well. We get in touch with the CSA on a regular basis. We’ll investigate if a venue change is possible, and if not, we’ll see if the dates can be pushed back a few days. But it’s impossible to say anything at the time,” a top BCCI official told InsideSport on Thursday morning.

Due to a lack of certainty from the government, the BCCI has already put team selection on hold. Due to virus worries, Sports Minister Anurag Thakur stated that the BCCI will have to seek clearance from the government for the South Africa tour. While the CSA has guaranteed a full-proof bio-security bubble, the government is skeptical, especially because the new Covid-19 type has already been deployed in 24 nations.